Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eggslent Eggs

We've been having fun shopping at the Farmer's Market on Sundays. A week ago I spotted some quail eggs and somehow was persuaded to bring home two dozen. I hard-boiled them and Anthony eats them for breakfast. Its a lot more work than standard chicken eggs as I have to peel three of the tiny suckers for one meal.

Sunday Bob spotted emu eggs. I was so excited, I just had to have one. Since they were $10 each, one was about all the budget could handle. Anthony was *very* excited too and really wanted to carry the egg around. A big no to that one.

Bob made an omelet for dinner last night using the emu egg. First he drilled a hole in the shell and we used a bike pump with a needle valve to flush the egg out of the shell. (Obviously I could have cracked it like a chicken egg, but I spent $10 on this thing!) The omelet itself didn't taste appreciably different from those made from grocery store eggs in cardboard cartons, but I still enjoyed it. Ironically, Anthony refused to eat his, but he happily ate three hard-boiled quail eggs.


He hasn't quite made the connection between the eggs that hatch in "Make Way for Ducklings" or "Hedgies Surprise" are the same eggs that he likes to eat. We'll just keep that our little secret.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: