Saturday, May 5, 2012

One Hundred, Fun Hundred


 Today was the big One Hundred, Fun Hundred celebration for the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouting.  While I'm a member, I'm not an active volunteer anymore and a bit out of the loop.  I'm so thankful that my friend Kathryn bought two tickets to the celebration and invited me to go.

  It was an amazing event.  While waiting to enter the event we met a woman who has been a Scout for 72 years and was there with some of the women from the first troop she led as an adult.  We both really enjoyed the Girl Scout museum and talking to the docents there.  We learned about the nationwide Senior Jamborees that were held back in the 50's and '60's.  They had displays of uniforms throughout the years, I told Kathryn she could find mine instantly--my Cadette uniform would be the ugliest uniform in the room. 

  They had great activities for the girls--lot of science stuff, scuba in the pool, zip lines, fun camp activities...  I saw a little-visited booth and went over to see what it was all about.  They had signs for all the different Girl Scout camps and you could put your name sticker on the camps you attended.  Camp Mountain Meadows had a small presence, I wish I'd gone back at the end of the day to see if anyone more checked in.

Kathryn and I stayed until the fireworks at the end, it was a great day!
 (When I get the photos off the camera I'll write about Anthony's day with Daddy.)

No comments: