Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hundred Days of School

  Today is Anthony's 100th day of school.  I believe they have some sort of celebration planned.  Our homework for the day was to bring in 100 small items.  Anthony decided on his own that he wanted to bring popcorn kernels.  Counting out 100 was a big job.  The first 3 "bundles" went well, then he started running out of steam.  I did one, he did one, then once we got to 70 the end was in sight and we were good to go.

  On a related note, his math skills are really improving.  He can clearly count by 10's, though when I counted by 2's the other day it clearly blew him away.  He is also good at adding with manipulatives.  The other day at dinner he counted three boys and two girls (fishie counts) and then proudly announced we have 5 people in the family.  We do food subtraction all the time and he's pretty good at that, too. 

What he can't do, yet, is add abstractly.  Right after he successfully added up the members of our family, I asked him what 3 + 2 was.  He just looked at me blankly.  That's okay, I'm fairly confident that abstract math is a lot harder.

No comments: