Sunday, January 15, 2012

Surprise Birthday Party

We had a surprise party after church today to celebrate Pastor Mark's 60th birthday. Anthony was VERY excited to see the pinata, but then a little worried about how it worked. At his parties, the kids can see the pinata, its stationary and then they try and hit it with a bat. Then, they don't make a dent in the thing and the grown-ups finish it off.

It was pretty funny watching Anthony watch Pastor Mark hit the rafters of the fellowship hall rather than the pinata. He was very concerned about the whole thing. He was also a bit reluctant to take his turn at bat until I reassured him that he didn't have to wear a blindfold.


I was actually quite impressed with the behavior of the other kids today. Generally I think that pinatas bring out the worst in kids with the greedy scramble for candy.

Three highpoints:
1. Anthony randomly started near the front of the line with a few of his little friends behind a bunch of ten(?) year olds. The bigger kids saw the little ones and pushed them to the front of the line.
2. Another big kid gave Anthony a piece of his candy. I assume it was with parental prodding, but it was still nice.
3. Anthony was chewing away on his lollipop and holding two pieces of chocolate when I noticed that his girlfriend M. was out of candy. I asked him to share with her and he did so willingly.

I mean it when I say that M. is his girlfriend. They are SO cute together. She looks forward to seeing him as much as he's excited to see her. (The other day they had a rough time getting out the door. M's mom said, "I bet Anthony will be there" and out she skipped.

No comments: