Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Speech Development

Obviously the photo has NOTHING to do with speech development, but I used it as I dig his scooter.

I think that speech development is one of the most fascinating things I've witnessed. Anthony started off really late but caught up fast. His enunciation was always darn perfect, though. Its fascinating how he figured it all out, including correcting all the mis-steps. For months he called Jessica at daycare "Jecaca". Then one day he just started saying her name correctly.

The transition from "me" to "I" was equally amazing. First, of course, it was "My do it". Heck, everything was "My do it". Then one day he said to me, "I can do it." He still didn't conjugate his "to be" verbs correctly and would say, "I are". I never corrected him and within two weeks just switched to saying, "I am." Its just fascinating to watch.

Its never occurred to me to dumb-down my vocabulary when Anthony and I talk. Consequently he can use words like "excursion" fluently. That one makes Mama so proud. Today I had him say good-bye to a neighbor kid with, "Thank you for instigating today's fun." Bob accuses me of using 25 cents words a lot; I hope Anthony will be able to beat me in Scrabble when he gets older!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: