Friday, February 29, 2008

Mama's New Wheels

A bittersweet day, we finally replaced Little Red Car. She was my first car when I bought her 12 years ago. And she's still in great shape with only 87,000 miles on her. Alas, with only 2 doors, it was getting more and more difficult to get Munchkin's carseat in and out. (And when he grows into a convertible car seat soon, I will really need 4 doors.)

I came home from work on Thursday, and my new car was in the driveway! Its a hybrid Camry. It has so many bells and whistles that Little Red Car never dreamed of. We got the navigation system so I don't get lost. (And so that I don't need to read a map and drive at the same time.) It has bluetooth so that if my cell phone rings I can push a button on the dashboard and it answers through the car radio. And it has the cool keyless entry/ignition. I just walk up to the car with the keyfob in my pocket, the door unlocks in my hand. Then I literally push a button that says "Start" and the car starts.

It also has all the modern safety features--anti-lock brakes, side curtain and drivers knee airbags, skid control...














I also love the instantaneous gas consumption meter. You can really tell how minor changes in driving habit really affect mileage. It is rated for 33 city/34 Hwy with the new EPA system that is supposed to be relatively accurate. We'll see how I do!

About the color... For years I wanted a red Prius so I could call it what else, but Little Red Car. Well, changed my mind about the Prius as the stroller didn't fit nicely in the trunk. I thought that the Camry was too big to look good in red. And the gray is so pretty!

By the way, yes, I really am wearing shorts in February! Anthony is wearing the airplane shirt that Grandma Donna sent!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Elly said...

Awww, I suppose it was only a matter of time, but we'll miss little red car :)